My baker friend Christi Wampler Macomber has given me permission to share her wonderful recipe! I have made it gfcf , and I swear I’ve never found a baked good as addictive! I’ve never tasted her version, but my version comes out like a cross between brownies and coffee cake. My subs are in parenthesis. Enjoy!
Chocolate Cinnamon Bread with Sugar Crust
1/2 cup butter, room temperature (Earth Balance)
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup all purpose flour (gfcf mix plus 3/4 tsp guar or xanthan)
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup buttermilk (soy yoghurt)
2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cocoa powder
pinch ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350F and thoroughly grease a 9×5″ loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, waiting until the previous egg has been completely incorporated before adding the next.
- In a medium bowl, sift together all purpose flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together buttermilk, water and vanilla extract.
- Working in two or three additions, alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture to the sugar mixture. Begin and end with an addition of the flour mix.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together topping ingredients: sugar, cinnamon, cocoa powder and ground cloves. Sprinkle evenly on top of the loaf cake.
- Bake at 350F for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for 10-15 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and turn out onto a wire cooling rack.
Cool completely before slicing.
Flour mix: equal parts:
- Soy flour
- Coconut flour
- Corn flour
- Potato starch
- Arrowroot flour
- Quinoa flakes